Sunday, February 17, 2008
Squinting into the light
I think the best possible session yet happened last week, in a different way. I recently started to see a toddler that presents like an infant. He usually has pretty low affect, very hesitant with unfamiliar people, high anxiety. Had dad play with him, and then I joined in. That worked...he allowed me to touch him, he reached out to touch me, didn't let me guide his movements, but good enough progress for that day! I had him in a bucket swing, with dad pushing him...he started laughing and making the most sounds I've ever seen him produce. And his laughter, giggling was the cutest thing that I've ever heard, and I've heard quite a bit of unique laughter come from many different kids. I felt a connection, a soft spot, a miracle in the making in this child. It was hilarious, it was heart-breaking. Clinically speaking, this session was one of the best, and the best yet in a while, because I got to talk to the parent a lot, gave the what, how and why to help his child's communication skills along. I just hope he's buying into it, so to say...we had a practice session, that made me realize more practice sessions were in order. He is a great dad, very willing and knows his kid too. Personally speaking, this was the best session since I got here, because I saw myself breaking away from I never want to have kids to, yeah, kids are pretty awesome miracles. The laughter, and the way the dad and the child looked at each other was priceless. I think that was the first time since I got to CA that I came up with that thought, and it was authentic, not an attempt to try to convince myself that I would like to have kids one day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment