Things are going well for the most part with First Child. Something funny happened yesterday in session...the lights went out for a second...the room's lighting is monitored by motion sensors, so I guess we were too still too long. Anyhow, she was surprised and a little frightened. I tried to divert her attention with extra reinforcement for simply not looking scared and talk and smile a lot. But a few seconds later of it's ok, she stopped looking shocked and trying to tell me somethin with sign, and gave me the saddest face ever and gave out a wail, "mama." I think it was "mama." Then I got up, held her hand, took her to the light switches, opened the door, so there was some light coming in (didn't want her to get more scared!) and showed her how the lights turned on and off. I made it look like a fun game, and got her to believe so...she started giggling too. I felt absolutely competent at that moment for the first time since I've started grad clinic. But then, after the session was over, she started heading towards the light switches to show the new game she had learned...hmm...good thing she's not tall enough to properly reach them. She's one very smart young lady :)
I am having some trouble trying to get her to talk more often. I need to vary my own words I think and scale down too...think children words. Comment on situation, not just what? all the time.
Thursday, October 06, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment