Today we did something a little different...the clinician working with First Child's sister and I got together with the children for the last quarter of the session so they could play together. I think it was the activity, but the two ended up playing by themselves, but yes, in each other's company. Cueing (getting her attention!) didn't work so good, and I felt like I was talking over the head, repeating words, but not being listened to, which is what's expected, but I didn't know how to get her attention back again. WHen I did, cueing was off and so were the corresponding actions.
I didn't manage to fit in one of the main tasks I usually do, which I feel it's ok, but I don't know about my supervisor. I felt I didn't have much control over the session this time. I know one of my goals is to move back more and more, giving control over to rmy kid (also mentee?), yet still maintain the sanity of the session/overall structure or control. I don't know how to give that 'light touch' that lets everything else just fall into place. I've seen it so many times, done by my supervisor, and today, by the other clinician, but I just don't seem to get what they are doing, how they are doing it. I try, but it just flops. Needless to say, I felt bad at the end of the session, and this is not a good time to be so, because I have to write my clinical journal for the week and do a self-eval feedback form...and I probably will be graded down for inconfidence, which I feel was more lack of ability and skill than inconfidence. But perhaps that inconfidence is the lack of taking risks, because I know what works in general, but do not try novel strategies I have never seen done before, never heard about.
Thursday, October 20, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment