Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Second semester

Second semester of clinic was better. I was a lot more un-attached to being perfect in everything, because I finally accepted that clinic is never perfect, and if it is, it's because your clients are perfect. I enjoyed my second semester in clinic even more than the last, I had to two individual clients this time. I jumped from Wernicke's to Broca's, about the same severity level, or perhaps slightly less. It helped that the two gentlemen I worked with this time had been in therapy until then. I learned a lot from my supervisor this semester, too much to write down here. I also learned a lot from my clients and clinical partner, too much to write down here. I have on paper, the traditional way, the way that honors what is written down on it. But one lesson that stands out is:
-if you don't focus on your client and how they are performing, you're not focusing on the right things. Forget about what you have planned and how and what you intend to do when you walk into that therapy room...if your client is not up to it, it'll never work. If the plan doesn't work, it's the wrong plan. If the client is not performing as good as usual, it's probably your fault as a student clinician. But even then, don't feel bad, try all the harder (and smarter) and remember it's a learning experience...that's why you're called the student clinician. Also, honesty coupled with compassion and love is the best policy.

No comments: