Tuesday, September 27, 2005

More of firsts: Grad school

Today was the first day of clinic as a graduate clinician. I had not been worried or nervous until about 1 minutes before the session was supposed to start: I had forgotten the forms (oh so important that all was associated with HIPAA violations, etc. if those forms wasn't signed right then, and I might be expelled, etc.) and I had forgotten to check out a ball for the session...and every clinician working with kids knows that a ball is all important and necessary in almost all cases during the first contact session. It is the most obvious item to have.
Once in the room, I realized I had boring toys...nothing was a complete set, one was but it wa boring after a while. Thankfully, my client, a young child with implants was also a bright, happy smiley joyful child (going to call her First Child, she is my first official one). She displayed a smile at everything and appeared to be pleased at everything. She primarily signs, which I do not (I have to learn, and quick too!) but still smiles despite my blunders to try to get her to talk more. I've slipped a little in my child-clinic behavior, but have no doubt I will improve as I get warmed up. I really need to get all excitable and happy...I need to be more child-like and forget about the day's burden...it helps a lot when the child senses your enthusiasm and play attitude.

But in short, I thought today's session was an absolute disaster on my part. It must get better.

No comments: