Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Out of the womb into gloved hands
I had an eval with a little one who was very very delayed...and it was hard cause you actually knew what the cause of the delays were (but then again, it's also frustrating when you don't know what the causes are). But he was a real cutie...and his parents thought he liked me :) That's always helpful in an eval...but he still didn't show me everything he could do, and was quite upset most of the time...all this poking and proding :C Poor baby. Anyhow, this just reminded me of how many kiddos I've come to know that are whisked off into the world of therapy and appointments and doctors since Day 1 of Life. Truth be told, early intervention is great, and the sooner the treatment, most likely the better the chance of 'catching up.' But then I think of the parents who hardly knew a normal childhood for their kids because of all this intervention and the children who never knew a normal day as a child because of all this intervention. You can tell a therapy child a part...at least a therapist can...therapized. I wonder how many parents still remember the one more treatment solution called the miracle. A miracle that will solve everything overnight. After attending meeting after meeting and one search for answers after another, how many still carry that glimpse of hope, that one day, everything will just click, that that unexplainable miracle will occur, just as it does sometimes for people with more concrete medical problems like cancer, etc. I think it's harder to remember because we're usually talking about long-term therapy care, years, probably ending at 9-12 years of age, if it's just an artic issue (or less depending on the delay), and going well into the teens years if it's language/learning disabilities, and probably a life-long process if it's cognitively based (e.g. autism, MR, etc.). I know I forget sometimes, after thinking and working on goals for the next 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, long-term, projected outcome, etc. But then I remember that, s***, we, as a profession, don't know squat about the ins and outs of how things work...we only know what we can see and what science can prove, and what our human experiences tell us. Sure it's a lot, but then again, who knows what the entire picture is like? Who knows if we're missing a critical piece except for time and trial-and-error? I wonder if the future therapist will read back into today's journals and say, oh, yeah, that's just like when they knew there was mass, and mass was made of something, and one day, discovered atoms weren't really the smaller unit of matter. The knowledge that we don't know everything drives me to believe that I need God in my therapy sessions. I need Him to work in the lives of these kids, patients, whether it be healing them, making progress, performing that miracle, or using their lives to teach the people around them...God knows exact what's wrong and how it can be resolved. And with the little we know and can do, He will work His magic and use our gloved hands to do His work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment