Sunday, October 22, 2006

More AAC

After 4 years in a liberal arts college and two (okay, one and a half to date) in graduate school, I finally had decided--I really like TBI and AAC, and I want to work with these two populations. Just found out about my internship placement--TBI peds, very excited!!!
Back to the now. The beginning of the semester was very roller-coaster-y for me. Things seemed to point to a certain direction and I was getting a little anxious but VERY excited because those far off future and near future plans looked enticing, more than I dreamed for myself. Perhaps I got too worry-wartish. I geared my semester to prepare myself for those after graduation goals. Thus far, I found out that I do do do love TBI and AAC. Especially serving the AAC population because I am just so anal about giving everyone "a voice, one speech therapy session at a time." I am discovering I am not gifted in this AAC area, and yet I wonder if that's okay. Even if I don't have this special instinct about things, is it possible that I still be good in the field and make an impact on the lives of those I serve in AAC? I want to be that good, not just pay-cheque good. Will I gain the skills needed, and above that in time? Or is this love, just a love that is not one to be put into action? Do I have the abilities? I'm no genius or superhero (-ine, for those who care about he/she stuff). But I want to do better, want to be effective, very effective. I guess I can try and see where I am at by the end of the semester. After all, that's what school is for. And then there's the other part of worrying: I do care what my supervisor thinks about my skills in this area. And I feel like I've let her down (okay, maybe that't not the best way to phrase it)...and I feel like I want to brilliant before her. I have to constantly remind myself that I am here to impress anyone (ok, to perform well and be real, but not impress) and the only one I should be concerned about what-they-think-of-me is God. What God sees me doing, thinking (scheming, hehehe). Finding my identity in Christ. The one whom I love will be the one that I think of and consider in what I do, what will so-and-so think. And that is God. Abba Father. Let me remember this always, O Lord.

No comments: