I had my last session with First Boy tonight. Whew...it went fairly well I think. I went a little bit to advanced and chose hard games for him to play, but we switched easy and it was good. He smiled and seems to enjoy and also work hard. Parent conference went well, except when I messed up my sentences, and had to explain what phonological processes were when my supervisor asked me what they were, after I had just explain what they were to the mum. So I felt like I repeated myself a lot. He/she gave me a card...I was touched...I did my best to serve them and hopefully, it was helpful to them, more so encouraging.
After the session, also had my 'grade' conference with my supervisor. It was okay and I did not feel as bad as I did the last time, I felt neither upset or glad. I was professional, haha...professionally stoic. I guess I was just too tired to react.
What I thought of the most today: How do you tell a mother her child needs years more of help? How do you convey and explain the numbers and percentages and scales that measure a child so objectively and coldly? How do you tell the truth yet bring hope that is not just in words at that moment? How do you encourage and put back peace in her heart when you're describing the challenges her child faces and how you think s/he can improve, or not? How do you say 's/he' needs help in the same breath as 's/he's' a remarkable and intelligent person? How do you bring hope and motivation in a matter that cuts a parent's heart the most?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment